Taskforce Biodiversity and Natural Resources (2009-2011)
The Taskforce was instituted on 23 January 2009 by order of several ministries, LNV, VROM and OS, further to the Biodiversity Policy Program (2007) and the appeal of Leaders of Nature (2006) initiated by IUCN NL. The composition of this Taskforce reflected the broadness of the societal challenge. Its members (see also Decision on changes in composition of the Taskforce, in Dutch) had a background in different segments of society: business community, academia, NGOs and government: Menzis, Nutreco, Ministry VROM, KLM / TNT, Both ENDS, Province Noord-Brabant, Wageningen Universiteit, LTO, Hivos, Solidaridad, Municipality Amsterdam, Natuurmonumenten, Ministry LNV, VNCI. Each approached the challenge from his or her own angle and together they delivered the final advice document.
According to the vision of the Taskforce Biodiversity and Natural Resources in future there will no longer be unsustainable use and depletion. Due to resilient ecosystems there is enough food, water, energy and protection for the global population which therefore can be living well in a healthy environment.
- Video ‘Vision on the year 2050’ (Dutch with English subtitles)
To pave the way to such future, the Taskforce at the start of its work in 2009 has set four strategic goals: Consume Differently; Innovative and sustainable production; Optimalisation of land use; Integration of economy and ecology Further reading on the backgrounds of these goals (in Dutch) and the dilemmas that go along with these goals:
- Carrot, Preach or Whip?
- Productivity or Diversity?
- Is biodiversity essential or negotiable?
- Top down of Bottom up?
In order to be able to deliver its advisory mission, the Taskforce Biodiversity & Natural Resources, between 2009 and 2011 carried out or issued for a number of projects.
Economic consultant Triple Value was asked to provide a vision regarding Embedding biodiversity in strategy and corporate practice.
Taskforce member Marijke Vos in cooperation with Luc Adolfse and others worked on a framework for communication about Biodiversity.
Different NGOs were asked to provide their visions regarding the management of ecology and water in the catchment area of the river Rhine during the Rhine corridor meeting in June 2010 in The Netherlands and also during a Rhine corridor workshop in Koblenz on 10 November 2010 (report in English)
Wageningen University was asked to do research about ‘Winning Clusters in the Biobased Economy’.
In cooperation with BBOP (Business & Biodiversity Offset Programme) the No Nett Loss Initiative (NNLI) was started:
- Description of BBOP ambitions of the Taskforce Biodiversity;
- Backgrounddocument on principes, criteria en indicatoren (in English) and on No Net Loss calculations (in English).
- No Net Loss report 2010 (in English with Dutch summary): Compensation For Biodiversity Loss. De Gemeynt.
Green Development Initiative (GDI):
- Description of ambitions of Taskforce Biodiversity
- Verslag Report of GDI expert meeting 2010 (in English)
- Report of GDI expert meeting 2011 (in English)
- GDI CoP10 information document
- Economic instruments for biodiversity
- Ecologic sustainability CFP and economic measures
- REDD+, State of the Art 2011
Preliminary advices: Biodiversity is valuable
The (economic) value of biodiversity was the recurring theme of the preliminary advices the Taskforce delivered:
- Business platform REDD+
- REDD appeal of Dutch Taskforce Biodiversity
- REDD open letter of Taskforce Biodiversity to the government
- First advice Taskforce Biodiversity: halt deforestation toppriority for Copenhagen
- Year report 2009 Taskforce Biodiversity
- Advice of Dutch Taskforce Biodiversity to political parties 2010
- Advice of Dutch Taskforce Biodiversity to the formateur 2010
Debates and lectures:
- Report debate investing in biodiversity 03 june 2010
- Report debate investing in biodiversity 07 september 2010: Consumers and Biodiversity
- Report debate investing in biodiversity 16 november 2010: Innovation for Biodiversity
- Report debate investing in biodiversity 15 februari 2011: Biodiversity for sale?
- Report of classes on Biodiversity and Business
Reports of working lunches and - conferences on CEPA:
- Outcomes CEPA-BAP 28 januari 2011
- Outcomes CEPA-Biodiversity education 02 februari 2011
- Outcomes CEPA-carrier campaign 09 februari 2011
- Outcomes CEPA-Nature- and Environment Education 10 februari 2011
- FACTSHEET 1 Ambitious goals
- FACTSHEET 2 Food security and -quality are priority
- FACTSHEET 3 Green economy
- FACTSHEET 4 Economic instruments
- FACTSHEET 5 Effective management of protected areas
- FACTSHEET 6 Conservation and restoration of biodiversity
- FACTSHEET 7 Coherent agenda
- FACTSHEET 8 Education, research and communication
- Taskforce travel report Ghana (in English)
- Speech Mr. Alders during spring forum Natuurmonumenten 2010
On 13 december 2011 Hans Alders, chair of the Taskforce, handed the final advice to minister Verhagen of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation and State secretary Atsma of Infrastructure and environment. Under the title ‘Green Growth, investing in biodiversity and natural resources’ the Taskforce pleas for a change towards an economy based on the carrying capacity of the Earth. The ultimate goal for the Taskforce Biodiversity and Natural Resources is a world with resilient ecosystems in which sufficient food, water, energy and protection is available to everyone.
During this meeting also the 'Green Deal Biodiversity and Economy' was signed.
- Green Growth (brochure)
- Press release Taskforce Biodiversity and Natural Resources on the occasion of the presentation of the final advice
- Presentation letter of final advice Taskforce Biodiversity and Natural Resources
- Summary of recommendations in the final advice document
- Press release IUCN NL Leaders for Nature Inspirational Programme
- Factsheet 11 Green Deals Biodiversity
- Video Animation: 'It all starts with Green'
- Video 'Biodiversity as basis': interviews with members of the Taskforce
- Video Impression of the presentation of the Final Advice of the Dutch Taskforce Biodiversity
- Video Presentation of the Final Advice of the Dutch Taskforce Biodiversity: interviews
During the period 2009-2011 the Taskforce Biodiversity regularly published news items (in Dutch). These are archived here.